- Next CLLEAR seminar: The effects of structured-input and structured-output tasks on the acquisition of English causative 17/10/2017
- Italian film showing today: La bella società (Gian Paolo Cugno, 2010) 16/10/2017
- Welcome to our University Open Day! 13/10/2017
- CGE Research Seminar today: Launching the Routledge Handbook of English as a Lingua Franca 11/10/2017
- New Italian film season starts today: Veloce come il vento (Matteo Rovere, 2016) 09/10/2017
- Become a Global Citizen – Learn a language at Southampton! 07/09/2017
- Try a language taster at our Lifelong Learning Taster Day 11/08/2017
- Modern Languages graduation today! 19/07/2017
- Southampton launches new EMI MOOC 26/06/2017
- Next TNS seminar: ‘Linguistics, Ethnography and Identities’ 16/06/2017
- Modern Languages and Linguistics to host Year 8 Able Linguist Days 05/06/2017
- EUROCALL Early Bird registration extended 01/06/2017
- Make the most of Early Bird registration for EUROCALL! 25/05/2017
- Next CLLEAR seminar: “How the glottal stop starts: examining children’s use of a rapidly expanding variable” 24/05/2017
- Free intensive Chinese courses for students and staff 18/05/2017
- Next CLLEAR seminar: “The relative effects of isolated and combined structured input and structured output on the acquisition of the English causative forms” – SEMINAR CANCELLED 11/05/2017
- Top 10 position for Linguistics in 2018 Complete University Guide 05/05/2017
- Next CLLEAR seminar: “Heritage Language Reversal: The Production of Articles and Voice Onset Time (VOT) by Japanese Returnees” 02/05/2017
- Next TNS seminar: “A researcher’s tale: Revisiting research through the eyes of a camera and a diverse public” 28/04/2017
- Modern Languages and Linguistics welcomes potential future students for visit day 26/04/2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
Monthly Archives: April 2014
‘The Year of Jubilee’ – A performance by the University of Southampton community choir this Saturday
A number of staff from Modern Languages at the University of Southampton are taking part in the University community choir’s performance, this Saturday 3rd May, of ‘The Year of Jubilee’, at St Michael’s Church in Bugle Street, Southampton. The performance starts at 7.30pm. Read more…
The International Business Times has reported that graduates could miss out on securing top roles in UK companies if they fail to improve their language skills. Read more…
Modern Languages students and staff may be interested in a screening of the Italian film, Salvo (Antonio Piazza e Fabio Grassadonia, 2013), on Tuesday 29th April at 6.30pm at Harbour Lights Cinema in Southampton.
Further information about the film can be found on the Harbour Lights website.
The next Centre for Linguistics, Language Education and Acquisition Research (CLLEAR) seminar will take place on Wednesday 30th April at 5.00pm in Lecture Theatre C, Avenue Campus. The talk is entitled ‘Researching task-based language teaching: A focus on task-based processes’ and will be delivered by Dr. Andrea Revesz from the Institute of Education, University of London. All welcome!
The BBC has reported on research by the Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre (DCAL) at University College London, which shows that some regional variations in sign language dialects are dying out.
To read the article in full, visit the BBC website.
Starting in June, sign up to do an intensive language course in French, German, Italian, Mandarin Chinese, or Spanish. All aimed at beginners. Get ready for world travel!
Find out more information at the Lifelong Learning Intensive Summer Courses page.
A one-day cultural event will be held Saturday 17 May (10am-4pm) exploring some of the ways that contemporary migration and cultural imports impact on Mexico today. This thought provoking and inspiring conference will include a series of short talks led by experts from within Modern Languages at Southampton.
For more information see the Mexico Today Study Day Lifelong Learning page.
A new Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) platform for Europe has been launched, which will enable access to MOOCs in different languages, supported by automatic transcription. The product of a partnership between 12 leading European universities and companies, the first EMMA MOOCs will go live in September this year, and will be delivered by universities in Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and the UK on a range of different subjects including Social Innovation and Cultural Heritage, Business Management and Climate Change.
Modern Languages at the University of Southampton has recently welcomed Dr Richard Kiely, Reader in TESOL Applied Linguistics, as a new member of staff.
To read Richard’s profile, visit the Modern Languages website.
The UK Higher Education International Unit (IU) has reported on the growing importance of internationalisation for higher education institutions across the world.
To read the article in full, visit the IU website.