Back to all News items

TNS Seminar: Challenging research settings: gender, risk, and resistance

TNS

The next Centre for Transnational Studies (TNS) seminar will take place from 5:00-7:00pm on Wednesday 6th May 2015 in Room 1177, Building 65, Avenue Campus. The session is entitled ‘Challenging research settings: gender, risk, and resistance’ and will be led by Professor Helen Sampson from Cardiff University. All welcome!

Here is the abstract for this seminar:
Tankers, container vessels, bulk carriers, and refrigerated fruit ships…these are some of the vessels I have experienced when undertaking ‘on board’ fieldwork in my time working at the Seafarers International Research Centre. There is a certain romance associated with the idea of doing research at sea, yet in the main this is misplaced.

Ships are monotonous, dangerous, institutionalised, predominantly male, environments from which there is little chance of respite or escape. As such, it is fair to say that doing research on a deep-sea cargo vessel carries with it a number of challenges and risks. In this account I will focus on the experiences I have had of undertaking fieldwork in these particular settings over a period of sixteen years.

I will explore some of the more general challenges associated with doing research of this nature before moving on to consider some of those that relate more specifically to the gender of both the researcher and the researched.

Posted By :