Student Life: An internship with eLanguages

eLanguages.ac.uk

We want to say a big thank you to Marcy Nguyen, who is currently studying for an MSc in Education, and recently completed a 4-month internship with eLanguages here in Modern Languages and Linguistics. Marcy has written the following blog about her experiences with us:

I received an email regarding internship opportunities from the Employability Lead of the Southampton Education School back in December. It included the opening position of eLanguages Project Assistant. With my background as an English teacher, some experience in graphic design and social media management, I found myself totally intrigued, suitable and immediately applying. Some time after the interview, I was offered the position.

As an international student relying on predominantly academic, non-colloquial language and lacking knowledge about British office culture, I didn’t expect to be able to integrate myself into the team. However, everyone was welcoming, fun and chatty and I learned a lot about the working culture in the UK through my observation. This was definitely an enriching intercultural experience for me. I hope every international student will learn from my experience that we can and should step outside of our cultural comfort zone and learn about the world.

Managing the Twitter accounts was my first task at the job. Although what I do on Twitter mostly involved following and interacting with others, tweeting about updates and online resources, I stumbled upon many hidden gems: innovative ed-tech products and services, people dedicated to education and lifelong learning and so much more. Because of this, I decided to create a Twitter account solely to connect with passionate people and discover innovations in educational technology. In a way, I am grateful for this portion of the work, even though it may have seemed a monotonous daily task at first.

I spent quite some time designing posters, postcards, headers and bookmarks as eLanguages and Prepare for Success needed a refreshed look. My goal was to create welcoming, attractive and friendly visual images for them. Dedicatedly designing the EAP Toolkit posters, and then having them put up around the campuses helped increase the publicity of the Toolkit and had an emotionally rewarding feel as well. New headers for the social media sites also created a more welcoming vibe and a sense of identity for Prepare for Success and eLanguages.

Four months of running the Twitter accounts, updating weblinks, web designs, student emails, designing posters, editing a video and modifying the Toolkits were very educational. I have learned so much more about virtual learning environments and educational technology. The internship also afforded me the opportunity to experience a British working culture, further my journey in educational discoveries and learn about the essential work behind developing and maintaining an online course and its syllabus.

Overall, the experience has been emotionally and mentally fulfilling. I extend my sincere gratitude to everyone in eLanguages and Modern Languages and Linguistics for this unforgettable part of my journey. All the best!

Thank you Marcy and best wishes for the future!