- Next TNS seminar: ‘Linguistics, Ethnography and Identities’ 16/06/2017
- Modern Languages and Linguistics to host Year 8 Able Linguist Days 05/06/2017
- EUROCALL Early Bird registration extended 01/06/2017
- Make the most of Early Bird registration for EUROCALL! 25/05/2017
- Next CLLEAR seminar: “How the glottal stop starts: examining children’s use of a rapidly expanding variable” 24/05/2017
- Free intensive Chinese courses for students and staff 18/05/2017
- Next CLLEAR seminar: “The relative effects of isolated and combined structured input and structured output on the acquisition of the English causative forms” – SEMINAR CANCELLED 11/05/2017
- Top 10 position for Linguistics in 2018 Complete University Guide 05/05/2017
- Next CLLEAR seminar: “Heritage Language Reversal: The Production of Articles and Voice Onset Time (VOT) by Japanese Returnees” 02/05/2017
- Next TNS seminar: “A researcher’s tale: Revisiting research through the eyes of a camera and a diverse public” 28/04/2017
- Modern Languages and Linguistics welcomes potential future students for visit day 26/04/2017
- Registration now open for EuroCALL 2017 conference! 21/04/2017
- Happy Easter from Languages at Southampton! 12/04/2017
- Modern Languages and Linguistics to host GASLA 14 conference 30/03/2017
- Modern Languages and Linguistics to host workshop on eye tracking in linguistics 23/03/2017
- Next TNS seminar: “Family stories: the relationship between narrator and listener” 22/03/2017
- Italian film showing today: La pazza gioia / Like Crazy (Paolo Virzì, 2016) 20/03/2017
- Next CLLEAR seminar: “Reflexive language and ethnic minority activism in Hong Kong: A linguistic anthropological approach” 14/03/2017
- Modern Languages and Linguistics seminar – “Jasmine Letters: a tram journey through the linguistic landscapes of post-colonial Tunis” 14/03/2017
- Next TNS seminar: ‘Sold Out? US Foreign Policy, Iraq, the Kurds, and the Cold War’ 14/03/2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
Tag Archives: China
The Confucius Institute at the University of Southampton and the Chinese Association of Southampton are jointly hosting a Chinese New Year Celebration Event 2017, taking place at WestQuay Shopping Centre on Sunday 29th January 2017 from 2:00-5:00pm. Activities will include a lion and dragon dance, a Kung Fu display, Chinese opera, cultural workshops and a Chinese children books exhibition.
For further information about this event, please visit the Confucius Institute website.
Modern Languages and the International Centre are delighted to welcome a group of 40 Chinese university English teachers who will be studying with us for Semester 2 on the China Scholarship Council (CSC) Training Programme.
Colleagues are invited to come and meet the group for tea and coffee in the South Corridor on their first day, Thursday 12th January at 11:00-12:00. We welcome all group members and look forward to working with you over the coming semester!
The University of Southampton Confucius Institute is hosting a mid-Autumn festival and Confucius Institute Day on Wednesday 19th October 2016 from 4:30-6pm in the Terrace Restaurant, Highfield Campus. The theme of this free event, sponsored by Chinese Hanban is “Blooming Flowers and a Full Moon”, and aims to engage Southampton locals with an interest in Chinese culture and language. Participants can enjoy music and dance, cultural experience corners, quizzes and refreshments.
For further information, please contact Confucius@soton.ac.uk.
China Day, hosted jointly by the Faculty of Humanities, the Confucius Institute and the Chinese Students and Scholars Association, with support from SUSU, took place on 27th April 2016 in the SUSU Concourse, and was a great success! Activities included a traditional music performance, paper cutting, calligraphy, Kung-fu and a photo exhibition. Some of the highlights of the event can be seen on this short video.
The day was organised as part of the SUSU Culture Festival from 25th-19th April 2016, a celebration of the different nationalities and cultures we have at the University of Southampton. The week featured a huge variety of events organised by different student societies and supported by volunteers. For further details on SUSU Culture Festival, visit the SUSU website.
The Faculty of Humanities and the Confucius Institute are jointly hosting China Day, taking place on 27th April 2016 from 4-6pm in the SUSU Concourse, Highfield Campus. Activities include a traditional music performance, paper cutting, calligraphy, Kung-fu and a photo exhibition. Anyone with an interest in Chinese culture is welcome!
China Day is part of Southampton University Student Union (SUSU) Culture Festival week, from 25th-29th April, a celebration of the wide range of nationalities and cultures at the University of Southampton.
For further details about the SUSU Culture Festival, visit the SUSU website.
Modern Languages graduate students, with support from Confucius Institute, have organised a Lantern Festival Gala, taking place on Friday 19th February from 5:00-6:30pm at Avenue Campus, Building 65, Room 1173.
Core Chinese teacher, Ying Fu, will lead a workshop session on lantern DIY and paper cutting (with the Monkey featuring as a theme this year) and Modern Languages PhD student, Yuling Lu, will lead a Chinese calligraphy practising session, amongst many other performances and activities. The event is also an opportunity for MA international students and learners of Chinese in Modern Languages to practice their Chinese and English language skills together. All welcome! See the below event poster for further details.
University students and staff will be participating in celebrations today organised by the Confucius Institute to mark the Chinese New Year. A variety of activities and workshops will be taking place between 11:00 and 14:00 in the SUSU concourse, Highfield Campus, including calligraphy, Chinese knot weaving, paper cutting, Chinese games, tea ceremony, traditional music and an historical costume show. All welcome to attend!
The Year of the Monkey begins on 8th February 2016 and lasts until 27th January 2017. The monkey is the ninth animal of the Chinese zodiac. It is considered by some to be one of the most unlucky years in the Chinese calendar!
For further details of today’s events, visit the University of Southampton news pages.
University students and staff will be participating in celebrations today organised by the Confucius Institute to mark the Chinese New Year. Two 2-hour Chinese cultural workshops will be taking place in the SUSU concourse from 12:00-14:00, Highfield Campus, enabling participants to try their hand at calligraphy, lantern making, paper cutting and Chinese painting. Read more…
Students with an interest in China and the Chinese language may be interested in Generation UK, a campaign launched by the British Council in 2013, which aims to support UK students to enhance their employability and become more globally minded through study and work experience opportunities in China.
For further information about the opportunities available through the Generation UK campaign, visit the British Council website.
On Thursday 30 May, a Memorandum of Understanding was signed by the Vice Chancellor and senior representatives of Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China.