28 June 2018 1330-1630: Building 6, Highfield Campus, University of Southampton
The University of Southampton, which houses the Basque Child Refugee Archive in its Special Collections, plays host to an afternoon of talks, followed by an opportunity to see a new exhibition of work by the artist Claire Hignett. Booking is essential.
• Introduction and welcome: Dr J Beswick, University of Southampton
• The Spanish Civil War and the battle for the souls of the Basque children: Dr P Anderson, University of Leeds
• The Basque children in Suffolk – a local study: Dr E Packard, University of Suffolk
• The Spanish Civil War refugees and the French “concentration” camps of 1939: Dr G S Soo, University of Southampton
• The teachers from Spain who accompanied the Basque children into exile: Carmen Kilner, Basque Children Association 1937
• Questions, discussion and summary: Dr G S Soo
From Bilbao to Southampton to Salford: an exhibition of work by Claire Hignett
1630-1730: Level 4 Gallery, Hartley Library, Highfield Campus
An opportunity to view the exhibition, with tea.
Tickets for the event can be booked through Eventbrite.